Thursday, December 14, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me!

Yes, I turned 46 today. My wife is out of town so I didn't do too much out of the ordinary. I was able to write just over 1100 words tonight, though, which is pretty good for me as of late.
One of my writing friends who is retired tells me I shouldn't worry about writing, as busy as my schedule is. (I leave home just after 5 AM during the week and get home anywhere from 5 to 8 PM.) I appreciate his wanting me to not push myself, but writing has to become more of a discipline in my life if I want to improve. My ultimate goal, same as thousands of other authors, is to be able to leave the treadmill of a 'regular job,' whatever animal that might be, and support myself writing. I don't want to have to work outside the house until I'm 67 or even 62. In order to cut the next 21 years of work down by a few years, I have to become a better writer. And how does one improve one's writing? Read a lot, and write a lot. No shortcuts allowed.
My writing friends who are kind enough to critique my revised first drafts are going to receive more requests from me in the coming days to look over longer stories. Mickey, Bill, and Hope, thanks again for helping me get better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home