Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Here, there, everywhere

Here, there, everywhere. That's where I seem to be in my writing sometimes. I'm bad about starting a story, writing a few hundred or even a few thousand words, and getting bogged down without taking it any further. I've decided to complete at least two of the current three stories I'm working on before beginning anything new. Well, maybe I'll just jot a few notes if a really good idea pops into my mind.
"Good Will Hunting" is on TV as I write this. Movies don't often inspire me in specific ways more than a few hours, or maybe even a few minutes, but "Good Will Hunting" and "October Sky" are exceptions. A few years ago after watching one of them I decided to go back to school for a Computer and Information Sciences degree. I wasn't able to finish the program and get the degree, but the courses I took eventually helped me get my current job.
I had thought about writing short stories off and on for several years without ever moving on the idea. After watching the other of the two movies listed above I decided to take a writing course from Long Ridge Writers Institute, which gave me the foundation for all the writing I've done since.
I'm not sure which movie inspired me to go back to school and which inspired me to write, and it doesn't really matter. But they will always stick out in my mind as being important.
Inspiration can come from anywhere. You can never tell when someone or something will change the course of your life, so be mindful to always be on the lookout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home